Really happy I thought of it beforehand.
Picked up a small auto-siphon for the pepper porters. I’m glad I did. I don’t know where my racking cane went (and even if I knew where it was I hate using it), and my regular auto-siphon will not fit the mouth of my 1 gallon carboys.
I have another auto-siphon that will. However, that’s my Brett/bugs auto-siphon. And I’m not going to chance that with this beer.
I also grabbed two packs of caps. Should last me for a little while at least.
In addition to brewing this weekend, I’m also going to bottle the pepper beers. That’ll make it about a week on the peppers.
And once these peppers are done, I think I might take a crack at mead and do another couple ciders in the 1 gallon carboys. Since neither mead nor cider really produce much of a krausen (or whatever it’s called in the appropriate terminology) I can put nearly a full gallon in there, as opposed to headspace needed for beer.
I could also do a handful of super small batch sours. Maybe 3/4 gallon, do them BIAB. Or something like that. But I’ll let that wait until after we eventually move. We’ve decided we will stay here no later than April of next year when our current lease expires. Even if that means moving in the with inlaws if nowhere else is available when we need it to be.
Conceptual recipes I’ve put together over the course of time but haven’t pulled the trigger due to the moving question… (I would be tweaking the recipes before I actually brewed them)
- Flanders Red
- Lambic w/ proper turbid mash and aged hops
- 100% Brett B Belgian Red Ale (sort of darker Saison inspired)
- 100% Brett L “Kriek” w/ sour cherries.
- Oud Bruin
- Retrying a Berliner Weisse.
If I opt to move forward on either of them in the immediate future, it’ll be the last two, as I was planning on doing a sour mash followed by boil on each, and actually leaving the cold side bug-free. No worries of cross contamination and no additional souring time needed, so much faster turnaround.
I’ve also never experimented with 100% Brett before, only as a supplement to Saccharomyces (and other bugs), but if I understand correctly 100% Brett for some reason moves a lot faster and doesn’t super-attenuate like it does when used in conjunction with other microbiota, meaning that instead of a year plus, the two 100% Brett batches could be done in a couple months.
In any event, the Lambic (and eventual Gueuze) and Flanders Red will wait until next summer at the earliest, when I know they have a minimum 18 months to sit undisturbed.